Friday, September 15, 2017

President Howard W. Hunter on following the Savior

President Howard W. Hunter (1907-1995) was called to the Quorum of Twelve in 1959.  He served as Church President for only nine months, from June 5, 1994 to his death on March 3, 1995.
"The world in which we live, whether close to home or far away, needs the gospel of Jesus Christ. It provides the only way the world will ever know peace. We need to be kinder with one another, more gentle and forgiving. We need to be slower to anger and more prompt to help. We need to extend the hand of friendship and resist the hand of retribution. In short, we need to love one another with the pure love of Christ, with genuine charity and compassion and, if necessary, shared suffering, for that is the way God loves us.
"In our worship services, we often sing a lovely hymn with text written by Susan Evans McCloud. May I recall a few lines of that hymn for you?
'Savior, may I learn to love thee,
Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another,
Finding strength beyond my own....

'Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can’t see....

'I would be my brother’s keeper;
I would learn the healer’s art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother’s keeper—
Lord, I would follow thee.'
(Hymns, 1985, no. 220.)
"We need to walk more resolutely and more charitably the path that Jesus has shown. We need to 'pause to help and lift another' and surely we will find 'strength beyond [our] own.' If we would do more to learn 'the healer’s art,' there would be untold chances to use it, to touch the 'wounded and the weary' and show to all 'a gentle[r] heart.' Yes, Lord, we should follow thee."
- Howard W. Hunter, "A More Excellent Way," General Conference April 1992
Click here to read or listen to the full talk

When we truly follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we find the peace that President Hunter refers to. This path of discipleship brings us His peace as we follow His example:


The words of the hymn President Hunter quotes, "Savior, May I Learn to Love Thee," describe that path of discipleship. As we learn to love Him, we will walk His path and find the promised joy and peace.

(Compilation and commentary by David Kenison, Orem, Utah, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment

// Customization to close archive widget on first view - DK 3/15