Sunday, May 24, 2015

Boyd K. Packer on learning to listen and live with faith

President Boyd K. Packer (1924- ) served as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve (a position that no longer exists) from 1961 to 1970, when he was called to the Quorum of Twelve Apostles.  He currently serves as the president of that Quorum.
"Shortly after I was called as a General Authority, I went to Elder Harold B. Lee for counsel. He listened very carefully to my problem and suggested that I see President David O. McKay. President McKay counseled me as to the direction I should go. I was very willing to be obedient but saw no way possible for me to do as he counseled me to do.
"I returned to Elder Lee and told him that I saw no way to move in the direction I was counseled to go. He said, 'The trouble with you is you want to see the end from the beginning.' I replied that I would like to see at least a step or two ahead. Then came the lesson of a lifetime: 'You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you.' Then he quoted these eighteen words from the Book of Mormon: 'Dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.' (Ether 12:56)
"Those eighteen words from Moroni have been like a beacon light to me."
- Boyd K. Packer, "The Edge of the Light," BYU eighteen-stake fireside, March 4, 1990
Click here to read the full talk
President Packer, in his younger years, received this very wise and very applicable counsel. There are times in life when it seems we are asked to demonstrate our faith by action in the face of uncertainty. If we have received counsel from a wise leader, or even more importantly, if we have felt inspiration from the Holy Spirit, then we should act in faith. Sometimes that means being willing to take a few steps when there does not appear to be a clear path ahead.


I believe one of the great needs in this life is learning to recognize the whisperings of the Holy Spirit, so that when they come, we know we are being prompted and guided. As we act upon those promptings and see the results, two things happen: we grow in faith so that it becomes easier to act next time; and also, the Spirit knows we can be trusted and will prompt more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

// Customization to close archive widget on first view - DK 3/15